Lead victims get relocation choice | Shanghai Daily

The story appears on

Page A6

August 22, 2009

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Nation

Lead victims get relocation choice

AUTHORITIES in northwest China's Shaanxi Province yesterday asked for public comments on relocation proposals, in the wake of the scandal of 851 children poisoned by heavy-metal discharges from a smelter.

"We will provide villagers with healthy living conditions and a means to make a living," said Xu Qiang, deputy mayor of Baoji City.

Villagers have four sites to choose, three in Fengxiang County, where the incident happened, and another in Baoji City, said Huo Xing, deputy head of Baoji planning and design academy.

Those moving to Baoji can buy "affordable houses" which have been provided to needy families at low prices by the government since 1998, Huo said.

All the relocation sites are at least 3 kilometers away from the smelter and all those living within 1 kilometer of the factory need to be relocated, Huo said.

Villagers' houses will be assessed. If necessary, the government will offer subsidies, he said.

They can continue to be farmers if they like; if not, a firm will be set up to work on their behalf, said Xu.

"The proposals offer us many choices," said Ma Chao, a villager representative. "I hope a village can be relocated as a whole, since many of us want to have familiar faces as our neighbors."

The proposals will be fine-tuned after all the voices are heard. The houses are expected to be finished by the end of 2010, said Xu.

"We will not allow the smelter to open before we are definitely sure that it will not harm the villagers," said Xu.

Dongling Lead and Zinc Smelting Co had been ordered by environmental protection authorities to suspend lead and zinc production on August 6, after cases of lead poisoning were reported among children near the factory site.

The factory suspended all its operations under the supervision of villagers and the media yesterday.

Baoji City government also solicited opinions from reporters and experts engaged in urban planning and environmental protection.

The Fengxiang County government offered free blood tests for 1,016 children aged 14 and under from three villages of Changqing Township, 851 of whom were found to have excessive lead levels.



 

Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend