Rescuers recover three more bodies from mine | Shanghai Daily

Related News

Home » Nation

Rescuers recover three more bodies from mine

THREE more bodies were recovered from the Tunlan Coal Mine in north China's Shanxi Province yesterday, bringing the death toll from Sunday's explosion to 77, rescue headquarters said.

They are still searching for one more person they believe has a slim chance of survival.

Rescue headquarters initially said it had found everyone but had mistakenly put the names of four miners on a list twice.

There were 436 people at work when an explosion ripped through a mine belonging to Shanxi Coking Coal Group in Gujiao City at around 2:20am. Gujiao is about 50 kilometers from Taiyuan, the provincial capital.

The bodies of the three workers were discovered about 1am yesterday in the collapsed section of the mine.

A total of 358 people survived the blast, including 114 who remain in the hospital.

Three coal mine officials have been removed from their posts and the governor of Shanxi, Wang Jun, has apologized to victims and their families. The State Council, or Cabinet, has set up a team to investigate the disaster.

Meanwhile, in Liaoning Province, three people were confirmed dead and one is missing after a mining accident in Fuxin County, a local official said yesterday.

There was a flood in Yong'an Coal Mine in Wofenggou on Monday when four staff were trying to drain water from a disused underground work area.

The water trapped all four, said an official of the Fuxin Mongolian Autonomous County Committee of the Communist Party of China.

Three bodies have been recovered so far.



 

Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend