Search to be suspended | Shanghai Daily

Related News

Home » Nation

Search to be suspended

THE search for 62 people missing after a massive landslide in southwest China's Chongqing Municipality 10 days ago is likely to be suspended, rescuers said yesterday, because of the threat of another landslide.

According to a geologist with the rescue headquarters who declined to be identified, 8 to 10-meter-wide cracks up to 30m deep have appeared on hills created by the landslide.

"If the 1.75 million cubic meters of soil and rock fell, another massive landslide would occur," he said.

The death toll from the landslide rose to 10 after rescuers recovered another body on Saturday, sources with the rescue headquarters said.

Rescuers had been searching for survivors and draining a lake formed by the landslide. The lake posed great danger to an underground shaft where 27 miners are trapped, said an official.

The air and a small amount of water in the mine could support them for five to seven days, experts said.



 

Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend