Streaky pork 'had parasite'

Authorities in Jing’an District said yesterday they are investigating a popular South Korean grill restaurant after a diner said their roast meat had a parasite on it.

Authorities in Jing’an District said yesterday they are investigating a popular South Korean grill restaurant after a diner said their roast meat had a parasite on it.

A long parasite was seen on a piece of streaky pork at Seorae, a restaurant on Wujiang Road, as shown in a photo posted online.

The Netizen, surnamed Xu, said he and his friends had eaten several pieces of the pork before seeing the parasite.

Seorae has more than 50 outlets in China and about 10 in Shanghai.

The Jing’an District Market Supervision and Management Bureau said it has ordered the restaurant to provide records of food purchases, inspections and quarantine certificates and the qualifications of its suppliers.

The batch of suspected tainted streaky pork has been sealed and samples sent for tests, according to the bureau.

The restaurant has a valid business license and catering service permit, the bureau said. Investigations are still underway and laboratory tests could be finished within days.

In a statement, Seorae said the diner mistook blood vessels of the pork for parasite.

It said the grill has no food safety problem.

The pork at the Wujiang Road outlet is supplied by the slaughterhouse of Henan Shuanghui, Seorae added.

Parasites can be killed if food is cooked at high temperatures — above 80 degrees Celsius — experts said.

Jiang Xiaowei

Seorae grill is being investigated after a diner said their meat had a parasite.

Special Reports
Top