Firefighter calmly carries burning gas bottle from kitchen fire
A firefighter calmly carried a dangerous gas bottle from the scene of a fire in Shanghai recently, preventing a potentially more serious accident.
The fire broke out at around 10:30pm in a restaurant in Zhangyan Town of suburban Jinshan District on April 17. Firefighters immediately rushed to the scene and the fire was quickly put out.
But firefighters soon discovered four liquefied gas bottles in the restaurant's kitchen, one of which was on fire.
Zhou Peng, one of the firefighters on scene, immediately picked up the burning bottle and carried it from the building.
“I didn’t think too much,” Zhou said afterwards. “The only thing on my mind was that it would be disastrous if the bottle exploded as there were people around.”
Shi Fengfeng, captain of the firefighting team at Zhangyan Town, said there is a standard procedure for firefighters to follow when dealing with dangerous materials without protective clothing.
“The others sprayed water on him so that he wouldn't be burnt,” Shi said. “But he still had to act fast.”
No one was injured in the fire.