Alleged double murderer to stand trial after 28 years

Prosecutors have filed a case against a man implicated in a double murder 28 years ago.

Prosecutors have filed a case against a man implicated in a murder 28 years ago.

Qingpu District People’s Procuratorate transferred the case to the No.2 Branch of Shanghai People’s Procuratorate on Tuesday.

Qingpu prosecutors said Wang was implicated in the death of a 3-month-old girl and her mother iin Qingpu on June 14, 1990. After being at large for 28 years, he was tracked down and apprehended in Anhui Province in March.

Wang, then a vocational school student aged 18, had been taken several times to the woman's home by his classmate, her brother-in-law, to play video games. One day day, he skipped class and sneaked into the house alone. Hearing him rummaging around in the living room, the woman  started to scream, prosecutors said.

Wang feared that she would alert others and smothered her. Hearing the baby crying in the bedroom, he threw her into the wardrobe to silence her, prosecutors said.

At that time, Wang then left Shanghai. Facial recognition technology led to his discovery in Anhui Province this year, living under a false identity and owner of three restaurants.



Special Reports
Top