Coronavirus update: 2 new imported cases in Shanghai

Yang Meiping
The latest confirmed patients are Chinese natives who worked in the US and Italy, respectively. They bring the city's infection total to 346.
Yang Meiping

Two imported cases of coronavirus infection were confirmed and 13 suspected cases were ruled out in Shanghai from noon to midnight on Thursday, the Shanghai Health Commission said on Friday morning.

One of the confirmed cases involves a native of China’s Guangdong Province, who worked in the US. He departed from New York on Monday, transited in Hong Kong and arrived at Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport on Tuesday.

He was taken by his family back home for medical observation and had not gone outside, said the commission. On Wednesday, he showed symptoms of infection and was rushed to hospital by an ambulance for treatment.

The other confirmed patient is a native of China’s Zhejiang Province, who worked in Italy. He departed from Bologna on Tuesday, transited in Moscow, and arrived at Shanghai Pudong International Airport on Wednesday. Showing symptoms, he was transferred to a designated hospital for medical observation immediately after customs clearance.

Both were confirmed with coronavirus infection based on epidemiological investigation, clinical symptoms, lab tests and imaging checks on Thursday, the commission said.

These two cases bring the total confirmed cases in Shanghai to 346.

Among all confirmed patients, aged between 7 months and 88 years old, 145 have traveled or lived in Hubei Province, 34 have traveled or lived in other regions, 159 had contact history with infected persons, four have lived in Iran, three have lived in Italy and one in the US.

A total of 111 patients are from other Chinese cities, eight from overseas and 227 are local residents, referring to those with registered residency and people staying in the city for over six months.

According to the local health commission, there are 22 patients being treated at hospitals. Among them, 14 are stable and eight are in critical condition. A total of 321 patients have recovered and been discharged from hospital.

There have been three local fatalities so far.

Another 36 suspected cases, including 20 cases from overseas, are undergoing tests, the commission said.

Special Reports
Top