Police forces make hukou transfers easier

Tian Shengjie
People who want to transfer their registered residency between Shanghai and Zhejiang no longer need to visit police stations in both areas after the service is streamlined. 
Tian Shengjie
Police forces make hukou transfers easier
Ti Gong

An official at the Caohejing Subdistrict Community Affairs Service Center helps Wang transfer her hukou on Wednesday.

People wishing to transfer their hukou, or registered residency, between Shanghai and Zhejiang Province need not visit the police in both areas, it was announced on Wednesday.

Police in Shanghai and Zhejiang have launched a one-stop service based on the Internet. People whose partner’s, parents’ or children’s hukou is in Shanghai or Zhejiang only need to go to police stations or police service windows in service centers in immigrant areas.

On Wednesday, Xuhui District’s Caohejing Subdistrict Community Affairs Service Center handled the first request in just three minutes for a woman surnamed Wang from Huzhou in Zhejiang. 

All identifications can be handled by both police via the Internet in two days. One an application is approved, Wang will be called to complete formalities with her identification card in Shanghai.

In the past, a resident needed to go to police stations or service windows in both areas more than four times to hand in papers in person, police said.

Special Reports