Hundreds attend 'Refuse Fascism' rally in Los Angeles
Hundreds of people held a "Refuse Fascism" rally Saturday in the western US city of Los Angeles, as part of an organized effort to protest against President Donald Trump in cities across the United States.
According to the Facebook page of "Refuse Fascism Los Angeles," "November 4th was the beginning of organizing to oust the Trump/Pence regime" and "This is part of the ongoing actions in moving forward with that demand."
Protesters moved through the streets of downtown Los Angeles, holding banners and signs with slogans such as "This nightmare must end, the Trump/Pence regime must go,""In the end, we will remember not the word of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." The group numbered around 1,000 in the early afternoon.
A smaller group of counter demonstrators also gathered in downtown Los Angeles to show their support for Trump. Around thirty counter demonstrators were witnessed by Xinhua correspondent at the scene.
"Refuse Fascism" rally organizers said they had been threatened by opposing groups. In an attempt to prevent violence, there was a large police presence in the area. Anti- and pro-Trump protesters shouted opponents and kept apart by cordons set up by police.
The Los Angeles City Council amended an existing ordinance this week and created a long list of items banned at any demonstrations or rallies, including firearms, knives, torches, rods, shields, glass bottles and baseball bats, among others.
"Those are not necessarily in people's protest," police officer Meghan Aguilar told Xinhua at the scene.
"We hope that we protect the safety of everyone involved," she added, noting that police are ready to enforce new bans on items at the demonstration.