China hopes DPRK-US summit to have positive outcomes

Xinhua
China sincerely hopes that the upcoming summit between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and the United States will yield positive outcomes
Xinhua

China sincerely hopes that the upcoming summit between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and the United States will yield positive outcomes, a foreign ministry spokesperson said Monday.

Spokesperson Geng Shuang made the remarks at a daily press briefing.

DPRK leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump both arrived in Singapore on Sunday for the historic summit scheduled for Tuesday at the Capella Hotel on the Sentosa resort island.

The meeting between the two leaders has drawn high attention from the international community, Geng said, stressing that China sincerely hopes the meeting will go smoothly, yield positive results, and facilitate the process of denuclearization and political settlement of the Korean Peninsula.

Backgrounder: Major interactions between US, DPRK in recent years

The much-anticipated meeting between US President Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea is to start on Tuesday.

The following is a list of major interactions between the United States and the DPRK over past few years.

On June 1, 2018, senior DPRK official Kim Yong Chol traveled to Washington and delivered a letter to Trump from the DPRK leader. Trump announced that the Singapore summit on June 12 would be held as originally scheduled after an almost two-hour meeting in the White House with the envoy.

On May 27, 2018, US diplomat Sung Kim went to the DPRK side of the Panmunjom truce village for pre-summit negotiations with DPRK Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui to prepare for Trump-Kim meeting.

On May 24, 2018, the DPRK dismantled the Punggye-ri nuclear test ground in front of foreign journalists, but Trump announced hours later that he's pulling out of the summit, citing some DPRK official's "tremendous anger and open hostility" remarks towards the United States.

On May 16, 2018, the DPRK said it would suspend high-level talks with South Korea infinitely and threatened to withdraw from the scheduled meeting with the United States in protest over US-South Korean military exercises.

On May 10, 2018, Trump tweeted that his meeting with Kim Jong Un will be in Singapore on June 12.

On May 9, 2018, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made another visit to Pyongyang to prepare for the Trump-Kim summit. The DPRK released three Americans who had been imprisoned after Pompeo's visit.

On April 9, 2018, Trump said that he expected to meet the DPRK leader in May or early June. On April 18, Trump confirmed that then CIA chief Mike Pompeo met with Kim Jong Un in a secret visit to Pyongyang in the previous week.

On March 8, 2018, Chung Eui-yong, South Korea's top national security adviser, said in a statement that he told Trump about Kim's eagerness to meet the US president as soon as possible, and Trump told Chung that he would meet the DPRK leader by May to achieve permanent denuclearization.

On November 20, 2017, Trump designated the DPRK as a "state sponsor of terrorism," vowing to slap sanctions on the Asian nation. On November 22, the DPRK slammed the US move as a serious provocation and a violent infringement upon the country's dignity.

On September 3, 2017, the DPRK conducted its sixth nuclear test. One day after the test, the United States distributed a draft resolution on DPRK sanctions to UN Security Council members for discussions. On September 11, the Security Council unanimously adopted the resolution to impose fresh sanctions on the DPRK, targeting the country's oil imports and textile exports.

On July 6, 2016, the US Treasury Department imposed sanctions on Kim Jong Un and other top DPRK officials over alleged human rights abuses. In response, the DPRK urged the United States to immediately and unconditionally withdraw the sanctions, and if not, the DPRK will cut off all channels of diplomatic contact with the Untied States.

On January 9, 2015, the DPRK made a proposal to the US side that Pyongyang will temporarily suspend nuclear test if the United States agrees to temporarily halt joint military exercises with South Korea for the year 2015, according to the DPRK's official news agency KCNA. Then US State Department Spokesperson Jen Psaki refused the offer on January 10.

On April 2, 2013, the DPRK General Department of Atomic Energy said the country will "readjust" and "restart" all nuclear facilities at the Nyongbyon nuclear complex, including a uranium enrichment plant and a 5MW graphite moderated reactor. On the same day, then US Secretary of State John Kerry described the DPRK's move as provocative, dangerous and reckless and said the America will not accept the DPRK as a nuclear state.

On December 12, 2012, the DPRK announced that it successfully fired off a long-range rocket mounted with a satellite -- the second version of satellite Kwangmyongsong-3. White House called the DPRK's move as "a provocative act that threatens regional peace and security and undermines the global nonproliferation regime."

On June 18, 2012, then US President Barack Obama decided to extend for one year the sanctions against the DPRK, citing the "unusual and extraordinary threat" posed by the Asian country to US national security, foreign policy and economy.

On April 13, 2012, the DPRK launched the Kwangmyongsong-3 satellite but the satellite failed to enter its preset orbit. The White House Deputy National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes then said that the United States would not go forward with the food aid deal with the DPRK due to Pyongyang's failed satellite launch. On April 17, the DPRK said it wasn't obliged to a US-DPRK agreement and would continue to launch satellites.

On February 23-24, 2012, the United States and the DPRK reached an agreement during their high-level talks held in Beijing. In the agreement, the DPRK agreed to impose a moratorium on nuclear tests and long-range missile launches and allow international nuclear inspectors to return to the country. In return, the United States agreed to provide the country with 240,000 tons of food aid.


Special Reports
Top