Trump's plan for military parade postponed until next year: Pentagon

Xinhua
US President Donald Trump's plan for a military parade in Washington DC has been postponed until at least next year, the Pentagon said on Thursday.
Xinhua
AFP

In this file photo taken on July 14, 2017, (From L) French Defence Minister Florence Parly, French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe, US President Donald Trump and his wife First Lady Melania Trump, French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife Brigitte Macron, Senate President Gerard Larcher, the President of the French National Assembly Francois de Rugy and the Mayor of Paris Anne Hidalgo watch as members of the 4th Foreign Regiment (4e Regiment Etranger de la Legion) march the annual Bastille Day military parade on the Champs-Elysees avenue in Paris. 

US President Donald Trump's plan for a military parade in Washington DC has been postponed until at least next year, the Pentagon said on Thursday.

"The Department of Defense and White House have been planning a parade to honor America's military veterans and commemorate the centennial of World War I. We originally targeted November 10, 2018, for this event but have now agreed to explore opportunities in 2019," Pentagon spokesman Col. Rob Manning said in a statement.

The statement didn't reveal the reason for the postponement.

Earlier on Thursday, local media reported that the planned military parade is estimated to cost US$92 million, though an earlier estimate put the cost at US$12 million.

The new figure consists of US$50 million from the Pentagon and US$42 million from interagency partners such as the Department of Homeland Security, said reports.

The ceremony is said to be largely inspired by Trump's front-row seat at France's Bastille Day military parade in Paris last year.

The United States has not held a major military parade in Washington DC since the end of Operation Desert Storm was marked in 1991.

Special Reports
Top