Conte: Pedro suffered multiple fractures

AFP
Chelsea boss Antonio Conte said on Monday that forward Pedro sustained "multiple fractures" to his face after colliding with Arsenal goalkeeper David Ospina in Beijing on Saturday.
AFP
AFP

Manchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero (left) attempts to block a shot while defender Phil Jones and Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale (right) collide during the first half of their International Champions Cup match in Santa Clara, California, on July 23, 2017. United won 2-1 on penalties after the game ended 1-1.

Chelsea boss Antonio Conte said on Monday that forward Pedro sustained "multiple fractures" to his face after colliding with Arsenal goalkeeper David Ospina.

The 29-year-old Spaniard was taken to hospital with a bloodied face after Ospina flew into him while clearing a ball with two fists during the Blues’ 3-0 preseason International Champions Cup win over their London rivals in Beijing on Saturday.

Pedro spent the night in a Beijing hospital and returned to London the following day.

Speaking to media in Singapore ahead of another ICC match against Bayern Munich on Tuesday, Conte said: “The situation was more serious because I hoped that it would only be a concussion.

"Instead he had multiple fractures and I think with a mask in 10 days, he could come back to work for us."

Conte said there was no ill-feeling towards Ospina.

"Absolutely no, because I was a player, I know these accidental (challenges) could happen," said Conte. "Ospina tried to take the ball."

Ahead of the clash with Bayern, Conte confirmed that new signing Alvaro Morata is in line to make his first appearance for the English Premier League champion.

"In my plan it is to give him the possibility to play a part of the game against Munich for sure," said the Italian.

Spanish international Morata signed for Chelsea last week in a deal reported to be worth up to 80 million euros (US$92 million).

Asked about Diego Costa — the man Morata is likely to replace — Conte did not comment.

He also refused to discuss midfielder Nemanja Matic, who has been strongly linked with a move to Manchester United.

"I don’t like to talk about players still here with us," added the Chelsea boss.

Both midfielders

Bayern coach Carlo Ancelotti, meanwhile, said that there was "no way" that Arturo Vidal would leave the club but admitted that Renato Sanches could be on his way.

United is rumored to be chasing both midfielders but Ancelotti ruled out any move for the combative Chilean international Vidal.

"There is no way. Vidal is our player, I have a lot of confidence," said the Italian coach, asked about reports in the British media about United's interest in the 30-year-old.

Speaking in Singapore on Monday, Ancelotti said that there was a chance that the Portuguese Sanches, who had a poor first season with the German champion, may be heading for the exit.

"Can be a possibility, but can also be a possibility to stay with us," the manager said when asked if Sanches would depart after just one season, with British media reporting that United boss Jose Mourinho is close to securing a loan move for the 19-year-old.

"At this moment Renato is training with us, is working with us," added Ancelotti.


Special Reports
Top