Dortmund snubs Barcelona's Dembele bid

AFP
Borussia Dortmund rejects an initial offer from Barcelona for 20-year-old winger Ousmane Dembele, after Liverpool snubs the Catalans' approach for midfielder Philippe Coutinho.
AFP
Imaginechina

Borussia Dortmund winger Ousmane Dembele takes part in a team training session in Dortmund on August 9, 2017.

Borussia Dortmund has rejected an initial offer from Barcelona for 20-year-old winger Ousmane Dembele, the German Bundesliga  club said on Thursday.

Dortmund said a move to the Camp Nou was "not very likely" after it turned down an offer that did not reflect Dembele's "extraordinary" value or the current state of the transfer market.

"As there is no other offer on the table, a transfer by the player to FC Barcelona is not at this time expected nor currently very likely," said a club statement.

The announcement came after Dembele skipped a Dortmund training session on Thursday, sending the rumor mill into overdrive.

German tabloid Bild has reported that Dortmund want an eye-watering 150 million euros (US$175 million) for its rising star, a price Barcelona appears unwilling to pay.

Dembele, who has made no secret of his desire to play for Barcelona, may have been trying to break the deadlock with his no-show, Bild suggested.

"Dembele really wants to go to Barcelona but yesterday he had to swallow the fact that the two clubs could not agree on a transfer fee," it wrote.

Barcelona is scrambling to find a replacement for Brazilian sensation Neymar, who last week left for Paris-Saint Germain for a record-breaking transfer fee of 222 million euros.

The Catalan giants have also approached Liverpool about signing Philippe Coutinho though there too there has been no sign of a deal.

The Spanish club is reported to have increased its bid for Coutinho to 90 million pounds (US$115 million) this week after two previous offers were rejected by the English Premier League side.

But Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp remains adamant the 25-year-old will stay at Anfield no matter what Barcelona is prepared to pay.

"We want to have the best possible team. This means keeping the guys we have," Klopp told Sky Germany on Thursday.

"Liverpool is not a club that needs to sell. That is set in stone. So what they pay in the end doesn't matter."

The Merseyside club's position on the Brazil international, who was a key player in Klopp's squad last campaign, is boosted by Coutinho's signing of a new five-year contract last season.

While Spanish media have suggested that a deal for Coutinho's move to Barcelona was close to completion, British media say Liverpool has not and will not make any plans to discuss the player's future with the Catalan club.


Special Reports
Top