Conte calm over future despite loss

Reuters
CHELSEA boss Antonio Conte has no concerns over his immediate future at the club despite its hopes of qualifying for next season's UEFA Champions League.
Reuters
AFP

Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Dele Alli controls the ball in the build up to scoring the team’s second goal against Chelsea during their English Premier League match at Stamford Bridge in London on Sunday. Tottenham won 3-1 to notch its first triumph at the Bridge since 1990. 

CHELSEA boss Antonio Conte has no concerns over his immediate future at the club despite its hopes of qualifying for next season’s UEFA Champions League suffering a critical blow with a home loss to Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.

Spurs came from behind to win the English Premier League encounter 3-1, recording their first triumph at Stamford Bridge since 1990, courtesy of a stunning long-range shot from Christian Eriksen and a second-half brace from Dele Alli.

The result has left last season’s champion Chelsea eight points adrift of Spurs in fifth place but Conte said he would continue to give everything as long as he was in charge.

“No, I’m not worried. Honestly. I think that I’m giving — the players are giving — everything this season,” Conte told reporters. “We are working very hard to try to have a good season, but I think that, in the end, we are deserving this season. It means that our value is this.”

The Italian manager was reported by the media to have been at odds with the club over the need to strengthen the squad in the transfer window earlier this season.

When asked whether a top-four spot was the most important factor into deciding whether a coach stays at Chelsea, Conte said: “I don’t know. You have to ask the club, not me.

“Yes (I have got the maximum from my players this season). Yes, I’m sure.”


Special Reports
Top