Terriers draw tempers City's mood

It took 3 weeks for Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany to finally get his hands on the English Premier League trophy but, on a day of celebrations at the Etihad. 

Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany (second left) and striker Sergio Aguero lift up the English Premier League trophy on the pitch after their EPL match against Huddersfield Town at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, northwest England, yesterday. The match ended goalless.

It took 3 weeks for Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany to finally get his hands on the English Premier League trophy but, on a day of celebrations at the Etihad, a goalless draw may have left Huddersfield Town as the big winner.

A strong showing from the struggling visitors earned a valuable point which may be enough to keep them in the EPL for a second season, an impressive achievement given their limited resources.

They also frustrated the bid by Pep Guardiola’s runaway champion to set new EPL records for the most goals, points and wins in a season — all marks which could yet be claimed by City in the season’s final week when it plays Brighton and Southampton.

But, after a delay while uninvited supporters were removed from the field at the Etihad, Guardiola was finally able to see his team presented with the trophy which marks the third major country in which he has managed a team to a title following successes in Spain and Germany with Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

“England is a special place and is so tough,” he told Sky Sports. “Today we saw it. You never know if you are going to win, but I had no doubt what I had to do. You win or lose, you have to try and do what you believe. Today was proof we can do better.”

The celebrations for City’s third title in 7 seasons began well before kickoff, both inside and outside the Etihad.

Fans were issued with blue and white flags to greet the champions as they were given yet another guard of honor on their way onto the field.

City won the league 3 weeks earlier without playing when closest rival Manchester United surprisingly lost at home to West Bromwich Albion.

City last failed to score a goal in a league game at home in April last year, in a 0-0 draw against United. City was held to a goalless draw by Wolverhampton Wanderers in the League Cup this season, before winning a penalty shootout.

Meanwhile, Cardiff City sealed its return to the EPL after a 4-year absence by claiming the final automatic promotion spot in the second-tier League Championship at the expense of Fulham yesterday.

With a 0-0 draw at home to Reading, Cardiff joined champions Wolves in going up to the world’s most lucrative league as its 69-year-old manager, Neil Warnock, earned a record eighth promotion in English football.

The Welsh club finished 2 points ahead of Fulham, which lost 1-3 at Birmingham to end its 23-game unbeaten run in the league. A win would have lifted the London club above Cardiff.

Instead, Fulham heads into the playoffs with Aston Villa, Middlesbrough and Derby County, with 1 more promotion berth up for grabs. Fulham takes on Derby and Villa is up against Middlesbrough over 2 games. The playoff final is at Wembley Stadium on May 26.

Special Reports