Related News

Home » Nation

Man detained for arson on Hong Kong metro train, 17 injured

Program Code: 09093461702210006 Source: AFP

HONG Kong police said Friday they have arrested a man for arson after a fire engulfed a subway train, injuring 17 people and triggering the evacuation of a major station during rush hour.

Videos showed chaos on the platform at Tsim Sha Tsui station, with a cabin on fire and one man lying on the platform with his clothes ablaze as bystanders tried to help him.

"According to our preliminary investigations and the statements of the injured, we suspect there was a resident (who) had lit combustible agents," deputy chief fire officer Yau Chi-on told reporters.

A government spokeswoman said that of the 17 injured, two were in a critical condition. Yau said the victims had suffered serious burns and inhaled harmful fumes.

Police said they had ruled out terrorism as a motive.

"We have arrested this person for committing arson," police district commander Kwok Pak-chung told reporters, adding that the man was a 60-year-old surnamed Cheung.

"According to investigation up until now, we believe this incident was related to the personal issues of one person, an independent incident. No information at this point shows that it was an act of terror or an attack targeting public transportation," he said.

"When one of my colleagues brought one of the injured persons to the hospital, the person declared he was involved with the fire and that he had lit the fire," Kwok said.

 'Burn you to death'

An unnamed police source told the South China Morning Post that the man had said "burn you to death" before lighting a Molotov cocktail and catching on fire himself.

Photographs taken by passengers and circulating online showed people packed into a smoke-filled train cabin, and firemen rushing injured people out of the station in chaotic scenes.

"One man was completely on fire, his long trousers became shorts... he crawled and fell, others helped to put out the fire," eyewitness Ray Chau told the SCMP.

"That train journey felt particularly long," he said. "There was nothing we could do but to inhale the smoke."

Police cordoned off the entrance to the station where dozens of curious onlookers had gathered, some taking photos with their cellphones. A number of fire trucks and police vehicles lined the street.

Inside the station first-aid debris and empty water bottles were scattered on the floor.

The city's leader Leung Chun-ying expressed his sympathy for those injured and called for a full investigation.

Mass Transit Railway, the company which operates the city's subway, said that trains were skipping Tsim Sha Tsui station, which services a popular shopping and nightlife district.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend