14 suspects wanted for murdering 70-year-old cleaner during HK social unrest last year
Fourteen people are wanted by Hong Kong police on suspicion of murdering a 70-year-old cleaner during the months-long social unrest last year, Hong Kong police said on Wednesday.
Senior Inspector Wong Yiu-ming of the New Territories North Regional Crime Unit told a press conference that a man aged 70 was hit in the head by hard objects outside the North District Town Hall in Sheung Shui, New Territories, on November 13, 2019 and died.
Upon investigation, the police had charged two men on April 22 with murder, wounding with intent and taking part in a riot. And the two suspects were believed to have participated in the case with other unknown persons, Wong said.
He said, based on further investigation, 14 other suspects believed to be involved in the case are currently wanted by the police.
Wong stressed that the police will continue to follow up all cases, especially violence-related crime. He did not rule out more arrests in the case, saying that 800,000 Hong Kong dollars (US$103,230) reward for information on the case is still valid.
On November 13 last year, a group of residents were cleaning barricades scattered on roads in Sheung Shui, and were attacked by some black-clad rioters. Luo Changqing, the 70-year-old cleaner, was hit by these rioters and died the following day in hospital of serious wounds. Luo is known to be the first innocent resident who died in Hong Kong's violence.