Furry friends for a break from the rat race
Shanghai is a busy place and finding enough space to keep your own pets can be tricky. Luckily, there are plenty of cat and dog cafes across the city.
Shanghai’s first Mame Shiba cafe, Shiba Mansion, is now open and has already gained popularity. This four-story cafe is home to 14 purebred Mame Shiba Inus which is a smaller version of Japan’s popular Shiba breed. Each of these 14 residents has its own name and character.
Before any cuddles commence, you will be asked to take off your shoes and clean your hands with a sanitizer at the entrance. Then you are free to join in with all the pouncing, lounging and chasing, and these doves will love all the belly rubs you can give. You might even get a glimpse of their typical doge face if you are lucky.
Based on our experience, the dogs are quite energetic and usually busy playing among themselves. That means it can be difficult to hold them unless they come to you. This is when the dog snacks (available for sale at the counter) come in handy to approach your furry friends. Yet, the amount of these snacks is limited to avoid over-feeding.
There is also a wide selection of drinks and desserts for customers. The tiramisu and lemonade with salted cherry blossoms are highly recommended by the owners.
In general, it is a unique and healing experience that brings comfort and relief to hectic and stressful lives in this metropolis. There is no wonder people are willing to wait for such a long time to do this.
Good to know before you go
• The Vibes: The homely atmosphere with beanbags and low dining tables makes the experience more cozy and relaxing, while the Mame Shiba Inus brings vitality to the place.
• Language: The menu is in Chinese only, but English service is available.
• Opening hours: Weekdays, from 12pm to 9pm; weekends, from 11am to 9pm. Be prepared for a long queue, even on weekdays. You can take a number at the counter first and come back when you get called.
• Price: 118 yuan (US$17.30) for entrance with a drink/dessert; 138 yuan for entrance, a drink and dessert. Entrance covers a two-hour stay in the cafe. (The prices are subject to an extra 20 yuan on weekends and public holidays).
• Address: Room 106, 99 Ruiping Rd
• Tel: 181-1600-7137 (No advance reservations)