Wiggins, Timberwolves silence Thunder

The result left the crowd in Oklahoma City _ not to mention the Thunder _ stunned by a second straight defeat.
Wiggins, Timberwolves silence Thunder

Karl-Anthony Towns of the Minnesota Timberwolves reacts after winning their NBA game against the Oklahoma City Thunder 115-113 at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, on October 22, 2017.

Andrew Wiggins thwarted the Oklahoma City Thunder's comeback bid, launching a game-winning three-pointer as time expired to lift the Minnesota Timberwolves to a 115-113 NBA triumph on Sunday.

Wiggins' banked in shot from near halfcourt denied new Thunder signing Carmelo Anthony a signature moment with his new club. Anthony had put Oklahoma City up with five seconds remaining.

"I could see how much time was left," Wiggins said. "I got as close as I could and let it go.

"Everything worked perfectly. When it left my hands it felt amazing."

The result left the crowd in Oklahoma City _ not to mention the Thunder _ stunned by a second straight defeat.

Anthony, acquired in September from the New York Knicks in a blockbuster trade, finished with 23 points.

Wiggins and Karl-Anthony Towns led the Timberwolves with 27 points apiece. Towns also pulled down a team-high 12 rebounds.

Reigning NBA Most Valuable Player Russell Westbrook, coming off a six-point performance in a loss to the Utah Jazz on Saturday, shook off a slow start to score 31 points with 10 assists for Oklahoma City.

But his late-game heroics weren't enough after the Thunder's lackluster start.

He scored 15 points in the fourth quarter, including a three-pointer with 30 seconds remaining that tied the game at 110-110.

Towns answered with another basket, and after Anthony's three-pointer put the Thunder up again Wiggins swooped for the win.

Westbrook wasn't convinced that the hard screen set by Towns that freed Wiggins for the game-winner _ and knocked down the Thunder's Paul George _ was legal.

Thunder coach Billy Donovan said he'd leave it to NBA officials to "deal with that stuff".

The Brooklyn Nets, stung by the injury to Jeremy Lin in the first game of the season, nevertheless notched a second straight victory with a 116-104 home win over the Atlanta Hawks.

Allen Crabbe, playing limited minutes as he continues his recovery from a preseason ankle injury, produced 20 points, including a three-pointer with 4:37 left to play that broke a 99-99 tie and put the Nets ahead for good.

Crabbe was efficient in his 25:38 minutes on the court, coming off the bench and making seven of 12 shots and four of the Nets' 11 three-pointers.

In Los Angeles, Anthony Davis scored 27 points, DeMarcus Cousins had 20 and New Orleans withstood a furious rally to beat the Lakers 119-112 for its first victory of the season, The Associated Press reported.

The Pelicans led by 22 points in the second quarter and were still up by double figures heading into the final period, but the Lakers made a charge to take the lead despite a poor shooting night from rookie Lonzo Ball.

Reserve Jordan Clarkson had 24 points for the Lakers, but Ball shot just 3 for 13 for eight points. He did have 13 assists and eight rebounds.

Special Reports