Ronaldo has Juve offer, claims source

Reuters
Cristiano Ronaldo has received an offer to leave Real Madrid and join Italian champion Juventus, a source close to the player said yesterday.
Reuters

Cristiano Ronaldo has received an offer to leave Real Madrid and join Italian champion Juventus, a source close to the player said yesterday.

Ronaldo, who joined Real from Manchester United in 2008 for a then world-record 80 million pounds (US$105.65 million), is the Spanish club’s all-time top scorer with 451 goals and has won two La Liga titles and four UEFA Champions League trophies with it.

Despite the glut of silverware, however, the five-time world player of the year has had frequent fallouts with Real and has declared on several occasions that he wants to leave the club.

Moments after lifting a third consecutive UCL trophy by beating Liverpool 3-1 in the final on May 26, Ronaldo appeared to suggest he had already decided to leave Real, telling a television reporter on the pitch at Kiev’s NSC Olympic Stadium: “It was beautiful to play for Real Madrid.”

Ronaldo, 33, appeared to backtrack on that statement during Real’s celebration parade through the Spanish capital the next day, when he told a mass of supporters: “See you next season.”

The Portugal forward was reported to be on the verge of leaving last June after a news story appeared in Portuguese newspaper Record declaring he was unhappy with the club.

He also caused a stir in 2012 when he declared in a post-match interview after a game with Granada: “I’m sad and the club know why.”

Spanish newspaper Marca suggested yesterday that Ronaldo is unhappy at Real because it is searching for a successor to him and president Florentino Perez has publicly courted Paris Saint-Germain forward Neymar, urging the Brazilian last year to come to Madrid if he wants to win the prestigious Ballon d’Or award.

Real yesterday also denied media reports it has made a bid for Neymar’s PSG teammate and teenage striker Kylian Mbappe, who is emerging as one of the biggest stars of the Russia World Cup.

Social media user Baptiste Ripart, who identifies himself as a journalist and editor, said in a Twitter posting that the UCL holder had agreed a world-record 272 million euro (US$316 million) fee for the French 19-year-old.

Real issued its denial after Spanish sports dailies Marca and AS ran articles citing the posting.

“Given the information published ...regarding an alleged agreement between Real Madrid and PSG for the player Kylian Mbappe, Real Madrid would like to state that it is completely false,” the club said in a statement on its website.

“Real Madrid has not made any offer to PSG or the player and condemns the spreading of this type of information.”

The Madrid club on Monday denied a report that it had offered 310 million euros for Neymar.

Mbappe has so far scored three World Cup goals, including two in France’s 4-3 last-16 victory over Argentina. France faces Uruguay in a quarterfinal tomorrow.


Special Reports
Top